Monday, March 06, 2006

... and I'd like to thank...

Last night as we were watching the Academy Awards being out for movies we have never seen, I told Partner if we ever have a kid who's up for an Academy Award (because all of our future kids will be award winners or super athletes or scholars extraordinaire, and we better start thinking about what kind of advice to give them now) I will have one piece of crucial advice for this child.

If you act in a film that was once a book or short story, thank the author who wrote the initial material to begin with. It's not immaterial. As far as I could tell, this only happened twice. In fact, you might want to throw a nod to the screenwriter even if the material wasn't adapted from a novel or short story or play. Or poem. Or whatever. Because without that initial writer's words and story, it doesn't matter how well you acted, you'd never be on that stage crying and acting surprised and waxing on far too long about "mattering."

Thank the writer, you fools, thank the writer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) I could see where the writer of it could be left out. *LOL* Ok, maybe not. I'm sure Thea & Gracie would thank Erick and I first, and after that I wouldn't notice a thing they said!

9:45 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Good point.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

In all the stuff about Brokeback Mountain, I have rarely seen Annie Proulx's name mentioned.

So thrilled about George and his Oscar though. And Crash.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home