Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Why I Hate My Cats


Arg.
Do you see the leaves on this wonderful Valentine bunch of tulips? Why must the cats munch on every flower I bring into the house? Last night, I was thinking of how in my pre-cat life, I would put bunches of flowers on side tables and night stands. Now, this invites disaster. A cat will chew on said bouquet, and perhaps while contentedly eating my flowers, another cat will think "oh, that looks good," and jump up on table with cat number one, whereupon a nice little fracas will ensue. There go the flowers. As a result of the brouhaha, water is everywhere, perhaps pooled on the leather couch, ruining it of course, and the flowers consequently die because, of course, no one is home when this happens. When I return the domicile, the crime is evident by the stamen and petals strewn through the house. Cat puke nearby, because, of course, the flowers make any kitty's stomach really ill. And forget wild flower concoctions-- I learned this the hard way-- because wild flowers are the most enticing to any canny cat, who will usually have more than the usual amount of kitty vomit after eating them, and invariably the puss will puke on the palest carpet in the home.

Thus the reason I keep my store bought bouquets on the kitchen counter, and even though the cats are "not allowed" on the counter, everyone knows you cannot control a cat.

Hence my sad, sad tulips.

6 Comments:

Blogger LilySea said...

Our house is slowly being shut, room by room, to cats.
They have been left with a couple of hallways and the kitchen floor.
But I still can't have a window herb-garden for cooking.
Alas.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

trade the cat in 4 a dog! ha-ha

3:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

SO funny, Ryan, because we were just watching the Westminster Dog Show, which I LOVED and got very riled up over, and was thinking of our future dog days. But I love the cats too. All FOUR of them. Such lesbians we are.

Lilysea-- we have been thinking of this idea, primarily because one of the kitties has been waking up us up at night trying to defend the house from a stray that likes to take refuge on our porch.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, I remember reading somewhere that tulip leaves can be (mildly?) toxic to cats. Not too sure about this or how serious - you might want to do a "search" on it. If they didn't get sick, they were probably just playing with, not eating the leaves. But if I had cats, I definitely wouldn't leave tulips around - especially indoor cats who don't have as good a sense in terms of what to and what not to nibble.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Anon-- I found a place online that lists toxic plans to cats, and indeed tulips are on that list! Once I bought a lovely lovely bunch of foxgloves at the farmers market. They happen to be my favorite flowers. My dad was over (we cooked a father's day feast) and he was surprised we'd have such a toxic plant with the cats in the house. I removed it immediately. Some toxic plants the cats totally ignore, like Birds of Paradise, but not daffodils or tulips, both on the toxic list. I guess it's all rose for me now! Thanks for the heads up.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But they're just so DAMN CUTE aren't they? The cats... not the mangled tulips... well actually... to me even those are cute because I can totally picture the kitties stalking them and pouncing on the dangling leaves...

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home