Thursday, February 03, 2005

The First Step Is Admitting You Have a Problem

I did it. It's almost as if I couldn't help it. But I watched. And although I have many thoughts about GWB's little talk last night, I am going to try and "distill" them, something I often encourage my students to do, but rather often fail at myself.

On Social Security: As being a rather dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, I chaff at GWB's suggestions and his invoking of FDR, Clinton, and Moynihan in terms of his nefarious little scheme . Just to get his logic straight, we need to reform the system, because by "2027, the government will somehow have to come up with an extra $200 billion to keep the system afloat." Direct quote, my friends. The implication is of course, that's a lot of money to ask the government for-- and we have a limited amount of time to prepare for such a shortfall, so we better start planning now. This is reasonable (if true), and I can appreciate planning for the long term. Yet in the exact same address, our esteemed president informed the Congress and the nation that he'd be asking "Congress for $350 million to support Palestinian political, economic, and security reforms." Both massive amounts of money. And what about all the money that the bucks already out the door for (what I consider) an illegal war in Iraq? About $3.9 billion a month. Along with supplemental spending for federal years 2003, 2004, and 2005 to the tune of about 178.2 billion dollars. So, we've already spent just about what need to "save" social security.

Do people know how to listen to entire speech anymore and compare points made at different times in the address? Or actual reality? No. I don't think so.

Another example: I almost turned off the State of Union when Bush said he'd protect marriage from "activist judges." Ahem... the very act of interpreting law, which is what judges are called to do, is activism in and of itself. Otherwise, judges are merely stooges. Review your civics textbooks, people.

Yet, "because one of the deepest values of our country is compassion, we must never turn away from any citizen who feels isolated from the opportunities of America." Um, excuse me? I don't know that I even have to expound further on this point-- hopefully the its mere presence on this blog by a lesbian woman, who is hoping to have a family in the near future, highlights its utter lunacy. Compassion? Please.

I could go on and on and on-- but I fear I am whipping myself up into a frenzy.

Who was GWB continually winking at on the Democratic side of the house? And does he have the most chapped lips in the world-- how many times could he lick his lips? I would be very dried out if I licked my own lips that much. And I got serious goose pimples every time Cheney looked into the camera, as if he could see this little lesbian curled up in her pj's. It was like he was thinking, "I'm gonna get you, you little pinko liberal, and destroy all others like you." Eugh. Creepy. I admit I had some serious tears when the Norwood family was shown. I can't even begin to comprehend how dreadful it would be to lose a child like that. And I also had a tear for Safia Taleb al Suhail. I cherish my right to vote, and I am sure that her recent participation in the Iraqi election was powerful. The way her hand was shaking as she held up the peace sign-- I was touched.

I failed to watch the Democratic response; I'd had enough. I took my antidote of the King of Queens in syndication. (I think that Kevin James is a real cutie. I never understand when people say that couple is mismatched, because I think he's totally adorable.) I didn't have any nightmares, but instead there were hopeful dreams of lame ducks.


3 Comments:

Blogger Firefly said...

You should have watched "The L Word" instead, it would have put you in a much better mood, those chicks are hot! Anyway thanks so much for your encouragement about the dress, I never thought I would be having this kind of a wedding (so not casual), so it is all a bit over my head and eloping sounds like a great option! Do you have any wedding pictures to share, I would love to see your dress!

Have a good weekend!
Marga

I am sorry if I overdosed on the exclamation points , it seems to be that kind of a day!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin James does a fine job in Hitch!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Marga-- I just watched the first four episodes of The L Word, and I am in love love love. I am going to try and post a picture of my dress for you too.

LL-- I can't wait to see Hitch. He's such a doll.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home