Friday, May 26, 2006

The Old Switcherooni

I spent the night at my parents house last night. It was extraordinarily nice. My mom was making some baked shrimp dish with fennel and feta and when I expressed concern about the double f-f, she made me a special version for me. When we first started this whole trying to conceive journey, I was cavalier. I was going to eat anything. Climb ladders. Do heavy lifting. Since it hasn't been easy to get to the positive beta, and with each failed cycle, I've become more cautious. Sure, everything I've read says go ahead with the fennel, but avoid the oil or seed. I'll just avoid the whole plant, thank you very much. As for those ladders or lifting? Yeah. Right. (I still think I'll eat blue veiny cheese though. I can't be expected to give manhattans and cheese.)

I also got to have a whole bed to myself, and as some people know, I have a proclivity for sleeping like an X. I love to sleep like an X. And my parents have a ceiling fan. It was all good.

The hurdles came this morning when my poor mother had to do the PIO (progesterone in oil) shot. If you aren't familiar with the shot, it's a long needle. Intramuscular. Ouch. And it's scary. I remember when Partner and I started all this monkey business. The first IM shot was daunting, to say the least. I think we both cried a little. So my mom, with no training, had to do the shot and she did spectacular. There was a lot of talk about whether or not she'd need a little shot of vodka before doing it, but she managed free and sober. Later at lunch, she did order a healthy glass of red wine.

Then I went for my repeat beta at the main hub of clinic. It was more crowded than I'd ever seen it. I talked to a rookie who was dying to pee and let her know everything that would happen, including my favorite-not-so favorite part of getting to pee while lying on the table in the OR. She seemed like she could be a woman of my heart, because while she was repulsed by the idea, she alternatively loved the idea. I did tell her if she had to go that bad, she should let a little out. She was a sweetheart and even though I'll (hopefully) never see her again, my fingers are crossed for her.

Finally, my mom and I went to lunch at "the club," where cell phones are expressly verboten. I carried mine in brazenly. Even though it was only about 1:30, and that was far too early for the clinic to call with repeat beta numbers, I thought it would behoove me to have the phone anyway. And my suspicion was rewarded, because I did get the call as we sat on the patio.

272-- That's what the nurse told me. 272. I was happy, mind you, but still worried. It didn't quite double. And after the last cycle, I was a little worried we were starting to march down the same path of not-quite doubling, not quite-doubling, stagnation, and finally failure. I know! 272 is still a good number, and it almost there. I got the requisite "Don't-worry-we-look-for-doubling-every-48-to-72-hours" talk. I tried to convince myself. I then called Partner, flaunting the no mobile rules even more. In my book, this constituted an emergency. She was pleased with 272 also, but I could hear a little worry in her voice also.

Later I sat in the parking lot of Costco and talked to youngest brother N for a good long while. It put me off schedule, so when I finally got off the horn, I raced into Costco without my phone. Stupid. Never, ever go anywhere without your phone when you are cycling. Even if you think you already know your beta number. Because when I got back to the car, I had missed four-- four!-- phone calls. I was only in there for 20 minutes! (Quickest Costco trip ever, and yet I still managed to fondle the baby clothes.)

First missed call? RE office. Second, third, and fourth calls respectively? Partner.

Who freaked out? Me. And who to call first? RE clinic had technically closed 35 minutes prior, so I decided Partner. Who promptly gave me a lecture about why didn't I have my phone because what if it was an emergency and I said in one breath "Is it an emergency because I just went into Costco and there were four missed calls and the clinic was one of them and did they call you and is everything okay?"

"They messed up our beta number," she said to me, and I felt my heart drop. "They switched things around by accident."

"Ohmygodohmygod." I said. I was driving by this point and felt myself get dizzy. I thought perhaps I should pull over. "What is it? What's wrong? Is it good or bad?"

"272 was your progesterone number" she said. "The correct beta number is 338."

And then I yelled FUCK so loudly people in cars stopped next to me looked at the car. I pumped the air like a 14 year kid. I nearly wept. I've done it. Doubled. More than doubled. The afternoon suddenly seemed that much brighter.

I'm telling you-- Can it get any better today? It's Friday, my house windows are open, the cat is lying like a noodle in the doorway, Partner cleaned the house this morning, friends are coming over for dinner, Olu Dara is playing on the stereo, and my fucking beta number actually doubled.

30 Comments:

Blogger Portlairge said...

I love those kind of mistakes! Those numbers are so bloody brilliant Katie. Congratulations all over again to you and Partner. Have a great weekend. I'm off to look up your due date and other miscellanea I need to know!! What next? When's your ultrasound?

6:32 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

Oh wow. Wow!!! I think even the 272 would have been just fine, but 378??? That's magnificent. I'm so happy for you both. This is a great start to the next 8.5 months!!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

I'm back. According to this site http://www.ivf.ca/calcu.htm
You are due Feb 1- St Brigid's Day. I love that.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

Oops, sorry, that was meant to be a 338, not 378 :-)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

That's a fantastic number!!!! I hope you two have a wonderful weekend and will be able to bask in this fabulous news!! Yippeee!!!

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!

*and the audience goes CRAZY!*

7:09 PM  
Blogger DeadBug said...

Lordy, lordy, lordy, my brow was creased with worry right till the end.

Gorgeous nunber, Katie. Georgeous!

--Bugs

7:26 PM  
Blogger DD said...

I like happy endings in a post. I love happy endings in a pregnancy.

Congrats, my dear, as you have made me smile very widely.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Pardon the language:

FUCK YEAH!

(Delurking, finally. Been reading for a long, long while and have been asking my small readership to send you and Partner good vibes!)

Is it silly that I'm teary? I'll have a Manhattan in your honor!

8:14 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Okay. Teary eyed. Emotional. A fine ending to a crappy day.

I'm happy for you two.

I can't help but think that this is a wonderful way for you two to become moms. What a lucky kid(s).

8:52 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

That's wonderful news. Pretty soon you'll be fondling all the baby clothes your heart desires!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's fantastic!!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger LilySea said...

Oh good! I came over here hoping I'd see news of a double...
Cautious and fingers crossed and wood-knoci=king congratulations from us over here!

9:37 PM  
Blogger *G* said...

yay, yay, yay!!!

*doing a happy bouncy dance to celebrate you and partner*

how exciting!!!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful number; I am so very happy for you both.

**As you pumps the air like a 14 year old and types at the same time**

10:38 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Yippee!

(Was it the 12 year old nurse who got the numbers mixed up?)

Those are fabulous numbers and I will continue crossing everything until the triplets are safely here.

xo

art-sweet

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuckin-A!! THAT is a great beta AND progesterone number! (just felt like skipping right over those 20's and 30's, huh?) Congrats again!!!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Yeah!!! Woohoo!! What a great number!! Congrats!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!
sending good wishes and more.. --ps. lurker finally coming out :0)

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got all welled up reading that last paragraph. Sounds like pure bliss.

Hope you got some good X-style sleep. You'll be needing it!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

I just got chills, teared up, and almost spit out a bite of food respectively!!! haha!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
That's so wonderful...
Have a fabulous weekend!
lissa

4:56 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

OK, now it is my turn to cry. And what is more, if Portlairge is right, whispersameduedateas mewhisper (but I may have miscalced as I am not sure if you had the same retrieval day as my donor). But we will keep on whispering cos I am feeling very tenuous today. Whereas you are like the furthest thing from tenuous I have seen all year!!!!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Ignore my last supposition about due dates. Partner had her retrieval 2 days before my donor so you will be 2 days ahead of me. Eeeek, the pressure.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Calliope said...

HOLY ba JAYSUS!!! I was hanging on the edge of my seat. wooooo hoooooooo!!!!!

(& just bookmarked you, chica!)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Trista said...

OH MY GOD!!! Still on vacation, but thought I'd peek on you to see how things were going.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What a great way to end my vacation)

11:11 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

You've just freaked me out with the fennel! Fennel tea has been my mainstay since giving up coffee. I'm sure my one cup a day is ok, but still, who knew fennel might be a problem.

Btw feta is ok if it's pasteurised, and knowing the US, it will definitely be pasteurised!

Congrats on that number. What a relief.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, will there be a third beta, or is it on to ultrasound from here?

Hope you had a great weekend!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

We're stashing hand-me-down baby clothes away for you! xoxoxoxoox

1:00 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

So! It's 11:35 am over here on the west coast of the US of A. Just settling in for the refresh marathon.Waiting!!! Can you tell I'm whistling while I wait.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad you are getting more good news. Your entry made me tear up a bit, it's so exciting!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home