Monday, February 06, 2006

Fetch It!

Did it seem like, to anyone else who has done this thing called IVF, that the second cycle shots were worse than the first cycle shots? One would think I'd be a dab hand at it all by now, but I hated every shot into Partner's upper outside quadrant more than the first time. Maybe it's because several took place in public bathrooms, but even the morning Gonal-F felt harder. And then we added that third shot, and so I have been ready to finish poking her ass and have her start poking mine.

Which starts tomorrow. Fingers crossed all around, please, that the olive oil doesn't quite itch me up the way the sesame oil did, because that sesame oil was a b-i-t-c-h. I worried a little today because I was a little itchy around the progesterone patch, but hopefully that was just adhesive issues.

Our weekend was busy-- but not. We studied a lot for the first test in RHC 101, and I almost feel ready. My mother told me it wasn't necessary to get all A's, all the time. I told her I didn't understand that. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I'll let you know how that test was after I take it.

We went to the funeral of our family friend. The church, which is not a small one, was full. Quite a testimony, I'd say.

And then finally, on Sunday morning to see Dr. BusyBusyBusy and spent over an hour in his office. It was even busy then, but we got to hang out in his own little cubby while waiting to talk to the nurse about timelines and I read up on some interesting drug interaction stuff with pregnancy. It felt a little like I was putting the cart before the horse. However, as Dr. BBB waved his magic wand (and gave me a wee lesson on how to work the machine) he said he believed that Partner has ten follicles, perhaps more, and he told us to trigger her up Sunday night at 11:30 on the dot. So we did. And tomorrow (tomorrow??) we are off to see the wizard, aka Dr BBB. Even if this doesn't work again, he's too cute for words, with his shiny little blue Subaru, complete with spoiler. (I mean, COME ON, he drives a lesbian car!)

When we talked to the nurse about timelines, I did something really stupid. I asked her when the due date would be if this worked. I say stupid because it makes it so much more real, and even though I KNOW I have to be hopeful here and positive (because I really do believe such new age nonsense as drawing positive energy to yourself), it's scary to know such concrete details. Because, you know, if this, uh, fails again, it will be that much worse to know. (October 31st, if you are wondering, which felt auspicious since that is between my birthday and Partner's b'day, and also happens to be my brother's b'day and additionally is one of my favorite holidays.)

For now, we'll just hope everything goes well tomorrow and we get more eggs than last time and Partner reacts just as well to the anesthesia and everything is safe and sound.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping that you won't find out if IVF shots get easier the third time around. And that there are no more itch attacks for you.

Good luck on the retrieval.

PS, thanks again for the kind e-mail!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thinking of you guys and wishing for the best!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Hi! Just found your blog from your comment on Julie's site. Good luck for the trigger. I'll be checking in to see how you go. My partner and I did it the same way you guys are, so I am definitely hoping you have a good result, and can totally relate to hormone horrors! M

8:41 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

Thinking of you both. Hope you have loads of follicls. Don't forget to post as soon as you can.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Display said...

During each luteal phase, I knew the anticipated due date for that cycle. Occasionally, I would root on a particular possible ovulation date because I thought the due date would be cool. Here's to hoping this is the first and last time you have to wonder.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Nico said...

10 follicles - yay! It sounds as if this cycle has gone much better than the last one. Good luck at retrieval tomorrow!!! Hoping for lots of nice embryos as a result!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Good luck twice!!! I hope everything goes great. My Celtic sense of jinx-ness never lets me work out anything like that but I hope it is auspicious for you two.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i'm a little behind, but wishing you the BEST of luck today!!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and many messy smooches of course... but... lesbian car?? There is such a thing as a lesbian car??? I like to think of myself as being generally in the 'know'... but... lesbian car??

Hey... what about my car? A Mini Cooper?? All decked out... Does it have a sexual persuasion of which I was not aware???

6:06 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm hoping that all went well for you two today with the retrieval!! I'm thinking of you two!

By the way, I have figured out the potential due date each time we inseminate. I can't help it! They have those little due date calculating wheels in all the offices!!!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you!

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you guys and really hoping that things are going well. Can't wait for the update.

Hey, and I've been eyeing the new Subaru Outback since it came out in 2005. Interesting...

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home