Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dr. Pangloss

I don't know about you, but when I actually get to see my RE I have a plan to ask him a slew of questions. For example, a smattering of today's queries that enquiring minds wanted to know were as follows: "What does it mean that Partner and I both have follicles galore after suppression drugs?" "How do you actually determine the E2 levels in the blood?" "Are you canceling this cycle or what??" and finally "Why did you fire your nurse?"

I have real Panglossian intentions, and then the doctor steps into the room.

Today we had a choice regarding who got to go first, so I picked Partner. Yes, I picked. We didn't get all lesbian about it and confer with each other and discuss and emote and feel-- I just picked. I figured that perhaps if she went first, I wouldn't have to bare my cooter.

Dr. BusyBusyBusy rushed into the room in his very cute little navy blue cordurory jacket. Can I just reiterate how adorable I think our RE is? But today he had not only one minion with him, but two. Two minions. The minions are alright, and I know they have to be out there to create more REs, but these minions will never ever be like Dr. BBB. They just didn't have his savoir faire.

A word on the minions. We are barely IVF veterns being only on cycle number two, but don't you just love when you feel like you know more than the sycophants? I do. I admit, I show off a little and use all sorts of IVF medical terminology. It doesn't hurt that I am taking RHC 101 (that's Really Hard Class 101), which helps me out a little more. I also am quite close to completing my fellowship with Dr. Google in Reproductive Endocrinology. Who needs that bs medical degree?!

Anyway, back to the exam room where the riveting ultrasound show was in progress. It was real entertainment! Two ultrasound screens, and lots of ooohing and ahing. The follicles, those bee-uuts, were still there-- more than a few. And another word in praise of Dr. BBB: No one, and I mean no one, can wield the wand like him. He's the best at it. Once we saw his associate, who was good, but not nearly as adept as him.

Now one thing about Dr. BBB is that after being his patient for awhile, you get suspect that perhaps he once went to Bobby McFerrin bootcamp because he likes to tell us a lot not to worry. He doesn't exactly say "be happy" in conjunction with that advice, but he gets close. It's not a bad thing to hear from the RE, but... I do have to say something that is not exactly in high praise of the lovely cheery Dr. BBB-- He doesn't exactly shut the door to questions. If we ask, he answers. Intelligently. He doesn't try to dumb anything down, which I love. In fact, if I say, "Can I ask you a question?" his response is either a.) "Absolutely." b.) "Anything you want." c.) "What can I do for you?" All of which I think most would agree are very friendly responses to my query. He's very gentle in his bedside manner too. (I so heartily wish here you could hear my impression of him.) But the fact is that he is so very very busy, and somehow I get caught up in the frenetic energy and all my questions zing right out of my head.

The long and short of this: I don't know why the nurse was fired. What an eejit-- I totally forgot to ask. I must have been preoccupied with whether or not our cycle is going to go forward.

Dr. BusyBusyBusy did not seem to worried about Partner's follicles since the biggest was only 8.5. This result had the desired conclusion for me: I didn't even need an ultrasound! He said we'd wait until the blood results came back, and then when we were paying he came out to tell us her E2 was down to 47.

But what about me? "You," he said to me, "are always very well behaved." I couldn't help but glow in the approval. The fact that Partner didn't respond to the Lupron could be a blessing in disguise, he said. He seemed pretty optimistic. Partner is optimistic too. She feels like she's ready. I'm in a literal and figurative holding pattern. I don't really have much to do now other than swallow some estradiol and put on a patch. After crying pretty much all day yesterday convinced we were never going to have babies, I'm trying for a more steady approach today. (Fat chance this will last very long, but who's to say a girl can't try.) Anyway it seems like the optimism on Partner's part is more pertinent now anyway. I'll work on getting mine up in a slow arc. I'm certainly in a much better place than yesterday.

We start stimming tonight at 9:00 pm. A rather late happy hour of Good ole Repronex and cocktails.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Yay for optimism!!! I'm so glad for you that things are moving along for this cycle. I will continue to keep my fingers crossed for you two. Have fun stimming!!!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I say: cheers!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

You didn't even get a wand stuck up your cooter and YOU FORGOT TO ASK why the nurse was fired. I was waiting all day for that news!Glad the appointment went well and good luck with the stims tonight.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Fabulous news! Bring on the drugs and the cocktails.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Nico said...

So glad you weren't cancelled! Go partner's follicles!!!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got the green light...but you HAVE to find out why she was fired. It's driving me nuts and I never met her.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers... (raising my mock Manhattan) and happy cycling to you both!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Cheers galore! I've had my manhattan and I am actually feeling excitement tonight for the first time this cycle. Although that could be do to something else....

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home