Friday, January 20, 2006

Differences

What we left: Sun, sun, sun. Warmth, warmth, warmth. Windows down in the car while speeding across the beeline to the beach. Drinks on the beach when we decided we would go the Hilton beachfront. A bottle of wine as the sun went down, a little chevre on crackers. Feet buried in the sand as the day cooled off, and sweatshirts on. We thought we were freezing. It was 65 degrees. Palm trees-- who knew I loved them so much?

What we returned to: Ice covered roads and driveway that necessitated a slow shuffle walk all the way down the drive to take the trash out. Boots-- heavy laced up boots and slush inches deep in the gutters of Detroit. Trees covered by white layers of snow. The heavy white noise of the heater blasting in the car. Coughs aggravated by the cold air, deep racking coughs.

My response to Michigan upon our return: I hate this. I fucking hate this. I hate the winter and can't even pretend. Okay-- I like it for the first two weeks of deep snuggling under blankets with cats curled up on laps. But mostly I said, "Isn't this awful?"

Partner's response to Michigan upon our return: "Isn't it beautiful?"

(She's really too good. Sometimes I think I live with Pollyanna.)

(I missed you all!)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, I guess? The south is good for weather, I give it that. Already dreading the winters in the midwest and I haven't even moved back yet. It's 71 degrees here right now. Soooo...how was the builder's show???

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar dynamic with my husband. It drives me crazy when he refuses to see the dark side of things! At the same time, it's one of the things I love about him.

Nice to have you back. So, do you have a plan/schedule for this upcoming cycle?

4:47 PM  
Blogger Soul Searching said...

I sometimes miss the beauty of Michigan winters, and Michigan in general...but I just couldn't stand to drive in the snow. It freaks me out just thinking about it. I don't miss the ice ripping my feet out from underneath me or the gray days, but when I see commercials with snow and kids in them I always find myself thinking that I'd love for my kids to have the fun experiences I had growing up in the snow...sledding, skiing, ice skating, snow angels and snowmen, snowmobiling and ice fishing...wow. That makes me nostalgic.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

Yeah! I'm glad you are back, even if you are freezing.I missed you. It sounds like you had a lovely time. How did the building show go? How is the lupron doing? Questions, Questions.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Career Guy said...

I'm with you on the palm trees. I think they are the most exotic plants on the planet, which is kind of sad, but I live in the slush belt too.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if only we could find something between what we have here and you have there.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

My partner is way too nice for her own good too. I think the Dalai Lama would be impressed if he met her! Whilst I'm quite bitchy at times, so we kind of balance each other out in the karmic stakes. Tonight I was laughing my ass off when I found out that our ex-housemate (who damaged our car and our friends car AND stole money from us and left us with huge bills that she never paid) has had a car accident and has to cough up $13,000!!!!! "Ha ha ha, karmic debt returns" says I. "Poor girl" says DP, "how will she pay it?"

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have palm trees too. Come visit us!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what it says on Pollyanna's tombstone? "I'm glad I'm dead!" Bwahhhh

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home