Saturday, December 31, 2005

How To Ring in the New Year

Ha ha. That's not really how we'll ring in the new year around here. We're considerably more quietwhen celebrating to the new year. We've had a busy Christmas season, as usual, so we prefer the stay at home and veg approach to the New Year. This was usually the way I rang in the new year, because I used frequent the bar/pub quite often. (Me? What? At the bar?) Thus spending a night with a bunch of fools who went out once a year did not sound appealing to me. Partner, who was never a bar fly like moi was just fine with this mode of celebration. Now, I make fondue, we have a fire, we watch a movie, maybe. About 11:30, we'll argue because I want to keep watching the movie, but Partner wants to watch the whole (inane) Dick Clark New Year's Rocking Eve show. Last year we argued so intensively about this we didn't talk until about 30 seconds before the new year and when we decided we better make up over such a stupid fight before the new year came in. (Actually we won't argue this year, because I'll give in and watch the show. The sacrifices we make for our partners, eh?) Then we'll toast with champagne, call all our family members and shout "HAPPY NEW YEAR" into the phone, because invariably one or two of them will be at a bar, and then we'll don our heavy coats and Merrells and go outside and stand in the driveway with the champagne and watch some unknown neighbor across the (big) road from us set off fireworks that rival the 4th of July. At the end of the show, we'll shout our glee, but they won't hear us because there are clearly hoards of people at that party since we can hear the applause from their guests. We'll go back inside, climb the steps, turn on the fireplace in our bedroom, and sleep the sleep of the cheese and champagne laden.

So, happy new year to all of us! May we all see the hopes of our fondest wishes in this new year!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that actually you in the picture? I'm always so curious about what my friends in the computer look like...that said, I'm not posting a self-portrait more recent than the one on MFA Mama where I am skinny and blonde (two things I no longer am), nope nope nope!

That said, I meant to say something on your last post, which really got to me. You poor thing! I know how it is to have something that heavy on your mind, where even when you're thinking about other stuff every once in a while a "what if" or a "if X then ?" pops into your mind and you just "have agida," as my Puerto Rican husband says (apparently this is actually a Spanish word of some kind that I have probably horribly misspelled; it's used to describe the exact feeling I have in mind). I will have you guys in the back of my mind through the next month, and I am so, so hopeful on your behalf that this works, and you can move on to new and different worries of the pregnancy variety in the very near future!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M. and I are going to stay home and watch the snow fall outside our livingroom window. I think it's the perfect way to ring in the new & hope for the future.

My best to you & Partner. May 2006 bring many wonderful things to you both.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I had too many wild, misspent New Years Eves before so now I am a complete homebody. I even watch the fireworks from Edinburgh on the TV too. Happy New Year!!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Nico said...

We went over to one of our friend's houses, and the four of us played pinochle all night. It's a rough game, you know ;-)

Happy New Year to you too, and I hope that very soon it brings you your heart's desire.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I was thinking that very thought last night, NM!

What great wishes everyone-- thanks!

And yes, Ms. MFA, that is indeed me. Scary stuff, posting one's own photog on the blog for the first time!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Soul Searching said...

you look just how I pictured you. Great pic!

Happy New Year, Katie! Big things are happening in 2006.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well just LOOK at you!!! You're just the prettiest thing ever...

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home