Monday, December 05, 2005

Worry Number 6,789

We've already established I am stellar worrier. Let's work on another example as even more proof of this.

The Scene: Friday night dinner, after Thanksgiving
The Place: My parent's house

Katie: I am so glad I am done taking the stupid steroid. I had to pee so much when I was taking that drug.

Brother K: Really? That's awful.

Katie: Yes. The first night I took them, I had to get up and use the bathroom about five times. No joke.

Dad: [looking alarmed] You should be concerned about diabetes. It can be a side effect from taking steroids.

Katie: [looking more alarmed] SERIOUSLY?! But it would go away after stopping the pill, RIGHT?

Dad: No. It would bring it on. You should be concerned about diabetes.

Brother K: That's ridiculous. Why should she be concerned about this?

Dad: Because she needs to lose weight and it runs in her family.

Katie: [Looking shocked, glancing at Partner with question in eyes: Did Father just call me fat diabetic?]

Brother K: It does? I didn't know that?

Dad: Oh yes. Your grandfather had diabetes. And heart disease. And cancer. And a stroke. {etc-- ad lib at will disease of choice because he probably had it.}

Brother K: He was an industrial chemist, for God's sake. He invented a paint which is outlawed for use in the Great Lakes and all major ports. You can't say we're at risk for all these horrible things because of genetics. You have to take into account his profession.

Katie: Seriously, I could have had diabetes onset from taking that pill?

Dad: Absolutely. You should think about these things before you eat.

End scene.

_________________________________________
Great. So, since then, I've been plagued with diabetes thoughts.

Monday:
Am I am too thirsty right now? Jesus, I am thirsty. I'm, like, going to die if I don't get a drink right now. Shit. How is it possible to be this thirsty. I'm going to ask Partner if she'll get me a glass of water and tell her how I am dying of thirst. This is a fucking sign. It's the diabetes. (Partner asks me how much water I have had to drink thus far-- it's 8:00 pm. I've had one glass of water, two cups of tea. She admonishes me for not hydrating properly. Perhaps it's not a sign of diabetes after all.

Tuesday night:
It's 3:00 am, and here I am, awake and peeing. This is the diabetes. I just know it. I can't get through the night without peeing! Shit!

Wednesday:
Is that chest pain? Or gas from the bean burrito? Diabetes side effect or Mexican food revenge?

Thursday:
I think I'm dizzy. I am really dizzy. I feel like my vision is blurry. Damn, Diabetes. Or could it be that I've been staring at the computer screen and doing the company books for five hours now.

Friday:
Putting up Christmas lights with Brother K and confide in him how worried I am about the dad's comments about diabetes. Brother K admonishes me, tells me how stupid it is that I am worried about this, and expresses annoyance that my dad freaked me out in this way.

"But Brother K," I whisper to him, "I can't even sleep through the night without having to pee."

"But Katie," he yells back, "how many cups of tea do you drink before bed?"

At least two.

"And Katie," he continues, "don't you think the endocrinologist you are seeing would have pegged you for high risk if you were?"

But he's a reproductive endocrinologist...

"It's a sub-specialty. He had to train as an endocrinologist first."

I don't know if that's true or not, but I feel somewhat better: God bless the little brother. But worry lurks.

Can you get me a glass of water? I'm parched again.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to laugh, I'm like that too Katie. If I hear of something, and then start noticing symptoms... it just reinforces the suggestion and the next thing I know I'm obsessed. :) When you see your doc ask about it - he'll give you the information you need to know. :)
Ps. Note my new blog address.

12:03 AM  
Blogger J said...

Since we started this pregnancy journey, I'm taking better care of myself- including drinking at least 8 full glasses of water a day - something I'd never done before. I used to pride myself on my bladder of steel. Now I pee a zillion times a day. It sucks.

but...your brother sounds fairly rational and level headed. And right about the RE stuff.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love brotherK..

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually reproductive endocrinology is a sub-specialty of OB/GYN, not endocrinology. And, yes, steroids can raise your blood sugar. BUT I've only seen it happen in people who are a) elderly and frail b) already half-way there to being diabetic or c) been on long-term steroids. Odds are that's not you. :)

But your thought process worrying about it sounds JUST like me.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love Brother K too.

I'm trying to drink more water too, maybe I won't be as thirsty?

And Jenn-- yes, of course, that's right! I think my dad's point was that he worried I might already be halfway there in terms of diabetes.

Mostly I just want to ignore this fear, but I have a little voice inside my head that is urging me to talk with the doctor about it. But then fear beats that down. Arg.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Hang in there, Katie! You can always call your RE and ask them if there are any contraindications with your meds if diabetes runs in your family. I'd call tomorrow, but that's because I tend to worry, too. Wanna hear a good one? Years ago when R had the flu, sick and achey/ feverish in bed he said to me: "Maybe it's not the flu. Maybe it's ebola." With the straightest face I could muster, I looked at him tenderly and said "No, sweetie. I don't think it could possibly be ebola." He siad, "Yeah, maybe you're right."

My husband, ladies and gentlemen.

Also, if you drink most of your fluids prior to 6pm, yu're less likely to pee in the middle of the night. I'm still working on that myself ; )

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, for heaven's sake! I'm sure your dad is a dear... but HONESTLY! I can't believe he gave you something else to worry about... and for what it's worth... I agree with your bro.

Rest easy, darlin'... I'm quite sure you are FINE.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Amyesq said...

Sweet. You got threatened with diabetes AND told to lose weight over Thanksgiving. Next year Bali for sure.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took prednisone (I'm guessing that's the drug you're referring to) one time for a nerve injury, and it made me gain FORTY POUNDS in water weight over the course of a single afternoon...I was monstrous! That stuff is evil, evil, evil, and my GP said not to take it again unless it was a matter of life or death. But it did not turn me diabetic (and I have the GTT results to prove it).

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home