Wednesday, November 23, 2005

For Pamplemousse















Something about the first real snow. It's quiet and clouded. I've made a fire in the downstairs fireplace, which is snapping away, waiting for Partner to come home. And no matter how good a manhattan is at all times, in all weather, for some reason it's even better in front of the fire, at dusk, when it's snowing. We're making pies and cranberry walnut bread here tonight. The cats are snuggled on blankets on the couch. We don't have to go anywhere tonight. We can sleep in tomorrow.

Earlier this week, Pamplemousse expressed some desire for snow, and I thought she was crazy. Today I remembered all the romance of snow. So, Madame PM, these snaps are for you!


















"Announced by all the trumpets of the sky,
Arrives the snow, and, driving o'er the fields,
Seems nowhere to alight: the whited air
Hides hills and woods, the river, and the heaven,
And veils the farmhouse at the garden's end.
The sled and traveller stopped, the courier's feet
Delayed, all friends shut out, the housemates sit
Around the radiant fireplace, enclosed
In a tumultuous privacy of storm. "
Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The Snow-Storm"

11 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Sounds like heaven to me...I love the first gentle snowfall. Have fun baking and have a great Thanksgiving!!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven indeed. You deserve it and I'm not shy to admit that I'm jealous!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Career Guy said...

Thanks for the Emerson. I love his stuff. Here in Cleveland we are under a winter storm watch. Anywhere from five to 24 inches depending on where you live. In our area we might get ten inches. Heart attack heavy snow. Hmmm, think I'll go re-read that poem. It softens the blow.

10:22 PM  
Blogger ckmunson said...

where is my snow? I miss it... and I live in Minnesota.

12:53 AM  
Blogger St. Casserole said...

Beautiful pictures!
My children have never seen snow.
I love the picture of you backing goodies while the cats snuggle on blankets. And, that you can sleep in without rushing.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Soul Searching said...

Beautiful pictures!! I do miss the romantic moments that snow brings...if only it could be 75 degrees while snowing I would be all set!

Have a happy thanksgiving :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger Career Guy said...

Now where did you get the idea I'd be shovelling snow? Kodiak and I were slogging through the stuff today with no attempt to shovel. No point. It'll just blow around all night.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

Sounds delightful!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Trista said...

Now that's the way I like snow. Gentle, fluffy, when you're in for the night and can enjoy it behind windows by a fire and knowing that you don't need to get up early and scrape off your car and drive on scary roads.

We still don't have any snow here. Strange.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want snow too. It looks so pretty. We got a dusting on Thanksgiving, but that was it.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Thank you, thank you K! We have had a bit of a dusting but nothing like those pics. Enjoy the cosy fire!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home