Wednesday, November 09, 2005

General Update

It's one thing to be told you aren't pregnant after a blood test, but it's quite another when the period starts. And for me the first few days weren't bad-- a little spotting and so light, I could almost convince myself it wasn't happening. That maybe I was a fluke, and I would prove the RE's office wrong, even though in my heart of hearts I knew they were right. But last night-- All I can say is that the RE office is right beyond a shadow of a doubt. The day after we got the news, I called our nurse back and asked all my questions, one of which was that I wondered if I should expect a heavier than normal period this time. "No," she said, "I've never heard anyone say she had a heavier period." Let's just say, I am not sure I believe her. (If you know this to be true, please let me know.)

Also, my other side effect is hives. Hives all around my hips near my injection site. It seems the oil my progesterone was in, sesame, is causing an allergic reaction in my body. It's itching the holy hell out of me. I have taken Benadryl and put on anti-itch cream, and it's not working. I'm giving it two more days, and then I'll go in for the steroid shot.

And finally, it appears the antibiotic gave me a yeast infection. When I tried to self-treat it with a three day dose of Monistat, I thought I was going to die. I have very sensitive skin, and apparently this translates to the nether-regions as well. The stinging was insane, and eventually I gave up and took a shower to "get it the fuck out of me!!" The good news is that it seems 20 minutes of hell with only one day of the three day Monistat dose, clears me up.

It's Wednesday. This feels like the longest week ever.

We also saw Dr. BusyBusyBusy yesterday. Who just said he thought maybe there was an embryo problem. They all fertilized, remember, but then only two of them made it to blast stage and the rest died. But that we should try again. Give Partner more drugs so she'll produce even more eggs, and not that we're doctors or anything, but this exactly what we thought they should do. I love when the RE's educated opinion jives exactly with ours. And I don't want to say much more, but he's also giving a break on cost. Which made me cry.

We're on downtime now for a bit. He wants at least a month to pass, and so we'll call to start it up again on day 18 of pill packet two. That's fifty days from now. Not that I'm counting or anything. But fifty days until the next Lupron shot.

And that's a lot of manhattans.

15 Comments:

Blogger Firefly said...

Everytime I pour myself a drink lately I think of you. I am sorry things turned out the way they did, I have no way to know what you are going through since your situation is unique to you and partner, but I am hoping for the best! I have even thought about switching from my regular "Sandy Specials"(vanilla vodka, lime, and coke) to Manhattans to show my quiet support ;)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Trista said...

Ok, so I am really bad at math, but 50 days from now is...December 23rd? Is that right? So you start right at Christmas and then I can't remember how many days till the harvest (doens't that just sound so life-affirming?) and then a few more days till the blasts are given to your womb. So this all starting right off right around the beginning of the year. A new year, a new hope. Beginnings everywhere!

Can they put your progesterone in a different oil? like olive?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad you have a plan and that BusyBusyBusy is in agreement. May the next 50 days fly by (perhaps with Manhattanite lubrication).

10:53 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I'm really sorry that your first time didn't work, but I'm glad to hear that you have a plan and will be trying again... soon. Have a wonderful holiday season in preparation for renewed fertility!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't on as heavy-duty of a drug cocktail as you are, but my periods were heavy-duty and horrible, MUCH heavier and crampier than normal, during the failed cycles when I was TTC.

Good luck relaxing and eating for yourself during this break. I'm with Trista -- Dec 23 sounds like an auspicious time to begin again.

11:41 AM  
Blogger ckmunson said...

Sounds like a plan... rest up and enjoy yourself. Someday you'll wish you had more rest!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, so many insults to injury. You deserve a few stiff drinks!

BTW, I tried a Manhattan once when I was younger. I didn't really dig it then, but you've got me thinking I might try again.

Sorry that the days are creeping by. Things do get hectic around this time, though, so hopefully that will make the wait go by faster (unlikely, I know, I know). In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed with the hopes that you'll have a great kick-off to 2006. My best to you & Partner.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

For soothing the savage yeast beastie, I recommend a bath with white vinegar or baking soda.

The bleeding is the worst, like a bloody full stop to the whole shebang. 50 days will soon fly by and if you keep drinking the Manhattans, you will really not notice!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your nurse is an a-hat! Oh my god! OF COURSE your period is going to be heavier. (No one has ever told her that before? Seriously?) I was allergic to the progesterone, too. The whole thing just sucks. I'm sorry.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got a plan that you're happy with. You need two advent calenders or something... (does that add up to 50 days of chocolatey goodness?)

Enjoy those manhattans.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back on the horse...glad you have a plan. And I have definitely had some heavier periods after IVF. (especially my chemical) I've also had the P-4 hives. And hard little knots, too. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NMsurrogate's remark made sense--all that nice, fluffy endometrium has to go somewhere...glad to hear that there is a plan, and I selfishly look forward to reading about the second go-round.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I had it in my head that I just might be one of those women that never gets a positive home pregnancy test. But then, I got my period. It's never been my favorite time of the month.... and it felt especially harsh this month. I know how you feel.

Hang in there - Thinking of you!!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

I like Sassy's idea of the advent calendars. I'm also on hold until around the holidays (or later, pehding fucking insurance crap), and it totally sucks. I want a fast-forward button!!

9:18 AM  
Blogger April said...

I am so incredibly sorry. I hope the time passes swiftly for both of you.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home