Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Things That Do Not Involve Stimming

If the Lupron doesn't kill me, this sickness will. I've lovingly contracted the sickness that Partner has had since before Christmas. She assures me she's on the mend now, but she also woke me up all last night with her cough-cough-coughing. Do I believe the beautiful love of my life? No. I do love her, very much, but admit that I don't like her very much at the various wee hours of the morning as she hacks or snores through her poor congested nose. This morning she awoke very early for a very early meeting. As she was leaving, she instructed me to stay in bed for as long as I needed (What, all day?) and I should just come into the office whenever. Was she being loving life Partner or loving business partner, or both? (Knowing my partner, she was being both.) Beyond all the regular sickness blahs, I wonder if I don't get over this soon, if it's potentially cycle concealing? I have nearly a month before I have to worry about doing anything other than sticking Partner with some needles, but then again, if this is the same sickness she's had, I could be sick for nearly that long...

Classes started yesterday, and although I know nothing about my students yet other than how shiny and eager their faces looked on the first day, I feel good so far. I love the material I am teaching, and told them so. However, when going over the calendar for the term, I noted to them that they might have at least one, at the most two days of class cancelled in the first few weeks of February. As I said that I realized I know nothing yet, other than the fact that we've been suppressed by Lupron. We don't know how Partner will respond this time around to stims, how many follicles, how many eggs, how many fertilized, how many get to blast stage-- none of those things are sure things at this point. And to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how suppressed one of us is (not me) since there has been an entire (warning tmi coming) full and heavy period already. It doesn't seem quite right to me. When we called the clinic, they didn't sound too concerned, but then again, it's a new nurse, and we're struggling all over again with the nurse trying to tell us apart.

Last night we had a mega-shopping trip at one of my favorite stores, Costco. I love Costco, although lately they've dramatically cut down their book table, and I haven't found anything there I want to read or haven't read already. There's a Costco ritual-- come into the store, get a soda, meander around aisles and look at stuff we have no intention of buying. Then, I'll look at the books, Partner will look at the computer programs. Next, enter the food section and debate about whether or not we need more salmon, will I cook the pork tenderloin, do we really need that much cheese? And no, we've bought toilet paper the last three times we were at Costco, and we've got enough toilet paper to see us through retirement. ("But you never know" I say.) And then we'll look at the flowers and always, always, we both comment on how beautiful they are (and we both adore cut flowers in the house) but we also lament how Costco flowers seem to wilt and die within mere days of getting them home, and so even though we want that amazing bouquet, we won't buy it. And then, finally, we look at the baby/kid clothes. Sometimes they are horrible, but a lot of the time, they are adorable and such a good deal, and we'll hold outfits up for each other and comment on where the babe might wear such an outfit. ("Out to dinner when we're in Charleston." "At a summer bbq birthday at your aunt and uncles." "To dinner at the club.") Yesterday, I saw a woman holding up a sleeper and Partner said, "Wanna go look?" and I said no and kept pushing our cart. Interestingly, this felt very powerful and I don't regret it for a minute.

Finally, we are leaving this week for Florida. At ass crack dawn on Thursday, and there is still so fucking much to do, I dread the trip because of that. The Christmas tree is almost down-- that means that everything, including the lights, is off the tree, but the behemoth still stands in the family room. Ideally I'd like for the entire house to be de-Christmasfied before we leave and all Christmas ornamentation packed up and in the basement. It's looking highly unlikely, but at least the fire hazard will be leaving the house before we do. I am also fairly anal about having the house clean before we leave for a trip. There's nothing better than coming home to a clean as a whistle house. But here is where the taking down of the Christmas decor is a double edged sword: It means tramping up and down the basement stairs, which means dragging a lot of dust up and down, and even more cleaning. I have no idea when this will get done. I need to go to work eventually, and also have to leave that workplace by 5:00, to get to a 6:00 class which Partner and I are both taking. Tomorrow equals driving downtown Detroit again to teach, hopefully finding time to go to Borders because I am without a book and that, my friends, is a true Katie emergency, iron summerish clothes for the trip, take down the lights outside, do 500 things I am forgetting about right now, pack, go to the class again, which means from 6-10, and then come home, hit the hay so we can wake up at ass crack dawn in order to get to the plane. But don't be deceived by the word, "Florida." We aren't going for R & R, we're going for the International Builders Show, where we will find a myriad of new and interesting products to help us build homes. (And also, perhaps a few fun ideas for our new house I am pretty sure we are going to build across the street from my current home. ) We're there for a few days after the show ends, and we've finally and definitively decided not to do any Disney because neither of us has much interest and instead, sitting at the beach near the ocean with some good books and wine sounds far better. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. But even if it doesn't, we've sat at the beach in the rain before. We're both in love with the ocean.

And then we come home and still have a week left before stims (hopefully) start...

12 Comments:

Blogger Trista said...

Wow your Costco ritual sounds a lot like OUR costco ritual. Down to and including the toilet paper debate. And I agree, YOU NEVER KNOW.

My word verification:
"wrrrarh" That is the costco roar of power when you push past the baby clothes without looking (something that is SO hard to do! I can't tell you how many cute outfits we had from Costco even before we got pregnant.)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Katie, you have tired me out just reading all that!!! And I thought you were kidding when you said you were moving across the street. Squee! You are self-building!!! That is exciting.

I agree though. You never know when you will have a toilet roll emergency ;

4:57 PM  
Blogger ckmunson said...

:) I do hope you take a break and at least breathe. Uffda!!!

I am relieved to know that it is not just me who stock piles toilet paper... I also do the same for feminie hygene products. My family teases me that I'm saving up for life in a bomb shelter.

Thinking of you!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

You're going to build your own HOUSE? Wow. That is impressive. Well, I hope you have fun at the show and you enjoy your R&R afterwards. It sounds like you will need it with all you have to do before you go.I'm banned from Costco by B because I never spend les than $300 when I go, even if I just go for one thing.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The International Builder's Show. You know how jealous that's making me, right??? Have a good time. Keep your eye out for Craftsman/Bungalow/Arts and Crafts style products for my "project." And I have a very similar routine at Sam's Warehouse. And the toilet paper? I think it stems back to my waiting tables and having "dirt poor spells." Stock up on the TP cause you never know when you'll have to choose between eating that week, or wiping your ass...And for some reason, I guess its living in the bible belt for the last 7 years or something, I was a little self-conscious about leaving my tree up until Epiphany night, this year. I think the realtor thought I was C-R-A-Z-Y...I just want to scream "They don't call it the 12 days of Christmas, for nothing!" Can't wait to move back to the land of the Catholics, my peeps.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True story? Husband's and my first "real" date was at Costco. We love it that much. Now post something new, dammit. I want DAILY updates. Cuz it's been three days and it's not like you have anything better to do.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Career Guy said...

You left on Thursday, we just got back on Thursday. Our cruise report is posted now. It's 27 and snowing, so it's quite a shock to come home after Caribbean sunsets and palm trees. I love palm trees.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I found you via a comment you left on CareerGuy's blog.

You DO know they had ice on windshields in Orlando earlier this week?! It amused me and I teased my brother about it (who lives there now--moved from Michigan a few years ago.)

I grew up in the Detroit area...I wonder if we were neighbors? :)

Hh

10:08 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

Can't wait to hear about the home show - sounds like a blast!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long-time no post... hope all is well! Just checking in on you to make sure you are fine!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great time in Fla. and that both of you have kicked the colds.

So do you have a sense now of when the stims will start? It must be weird for you, in a way, to be back in that place again, but hopefully, the excitement and hope will creep back in at some point soon. They have a funny way of doing that. Good luck with everything - I'm rooting for you guys.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Had i known you were in FL i would have sent you some good weather vibes! Other than a couple of chilly spells, we've had lovely weather as of late, so i'm sure it was wonderful.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home