Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Picture Pages One: Or What We Did on Vacation

1. This is the north beach. It's about a 7 minute walk from my parents house down a long boardwalk, which if no one is on, I'll ride a bike and cut that time in half. One of my favorite things about this beach is the fact that hardly anyone is on it. This is clearly low tide; at high tide, the water comes all the way up to those dunes you see in the distance. This year I was a little surly because there seemed to be more people than ever. That meant that there will be people sitting within 30 feet of me sometimes. This is my ideal beach.



2. Read. Read. Read. I read two Sun Magazines, Vanishing Acts -- Jodi Picoult, Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner (not my favorite by her), Charms for an Easy Life by Kaye Gibbon (great), The Laments by George Hagen, Bread Alone- Judith Hendricks, and The Language of the Threads- Gail Tsukiyama. This is what going to the beach means: open chair, read book, eat sandwich, go in ocean, read more, ocean, read more, ocean, read more (continue loop.) Have I mentioned more than once that reading is my favorite thing to do ever? That probably makes me a giant geek, but I don't care.

3. Have close encounters with wildlife: This is on the boardwalk. Well, okay, it's not on the boardwalk anymore, but it was, and it clearly did not like me coming down close to it to snap it's photo. I don't know what kind of snake this is, but I bet Brother K will know if he's reading. It's probably poisonous. I'm not sure I want to know that either. All I know is that this bothers me far less than the spiders that are the size of my head. All I can say is that if I can see a spider's joints, that bugger is too big. My friend Gabby once told me about a spider that lives in Australia that hides under the visor of your car. And it's huge. It's one reason I will never go see her in Oz. Snakes, sharks, poisonous algae? No prob. Big ass spiders = too scary for words. And I could give a shit that the visor spider (the Huntsman?) is not poisonous. I would die anyway from fright. Anyhow, this is not Australia, and this is a snake in South Carolina, not scaring me very much although maybe it should.


(There are more pictures than this, but blogger, since yesterday, has eaten one separate post and will not let me put anymore pictures up here. In the interest of proving I am still alive, I am going to truncate this particular post and hope that someday again blogger will cooperate with me.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a ball python, and would likely be an escaped/'released' pet.

No poison; I've had a few as pets myself. The one named Pearl was my favorite.

9:31 AM  
Blogger frog said...

Either "Anonymous" is my sweetie, or there's someone else in the world who names snakes for Janis Joplin.

11:09 AM  
Blogger J said...

in looking at that snake, I don't think it's a Ball Python - I've never seen one banded like that and that snake's markings lead me to believe that if it was, we're looking at a snake that cost over $20,000 - and people just don't "get rid" of pets that costly.

Outside of too many people, sounds like a great vacation!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Ohmygod. Snakes? *shudder* Spiders of the large variety? *shudder*

Can't deal with either!

The beach looks wonderful and I'm so happy you two had a great vacation!

Welcome home!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Career Guy said...

Welcome back! I like that loop. It's my favorite kind of rut. I miss the ocean. We used to go there all the time when I was growing up. I'll have to go next summer some time.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

Well, we can be geeks together since I read about 6-7 books a week! If you are interested, check out my blog at www.diaryofamadreader.blogspot.com where I talk about the books I read. Basically I just say whether I liked them or not and why. I don't like to pick books apart too much. It looks like we have some of the same reading taste's since I have read most of the books you mention. Anyway, good news on the GD front too!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Emma in Canada said...

The spider thing made me laugh...my husband is from Australia, and I have said I will never go there. He sent me a picture of a huntsman in his mum's bedroom...uck. One chased his niece into a corner, hence the name.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of spiders, I cannot bear to speak. But could the snake be a copperhead?

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huntsmen are just part of the furniture here in Australia. They're always hanging around on walls in houses. I don't ever want one to scuttle across my windscreen when I'm driving... but I think I'd still prefer that to coming up close and personal to a snake. I have a pathological fear of snakes. When I was a litte geek I used to like to read my dad's atlas. But it had a page of drawings of venomous snakes which I was so scared of I couldn't touch the page.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home