Thursday, March 17, 2005

You Can't Always Get What You Want

For example, I am dying to comment on Suburban Lesbian's blog, but the comments are acting all sticky. (Is anyone having that problem here? I love comments. I'd hate if my comments were acting up on you.) Anyhow I am going to remedy this situation by making my comments here.

Suburban Lesbian says:
Green beer is a crime against nature.... I stick to plain beer of a natural
color and leave the green stuff to the Irish and faux-Irish.
Now, let me tell you something, no self-respecting Irish person will be drinking green beer today. I say this as a self-respecting Irish person. I will shortly be leaving for the bar myself. (Yes, I am posting this at ten in the morning, and yes, I really will be leaving for the bar soon.) I lived in Dublin for a time in my life, and the idea of green beer got gasps from all my compatriots. We mostly prefer our beer almost black. Dark. And smooth. Like Guinness. It's good for you. (It really is; click on that link!)

But, as the song title goes, "you can't always get what you want." Today I want a pint that tastes like a pint from my local. Guinness doesn't travel well. The pints here are shite compared to Ireland. I lived down the street, literally, from the brewery. To get to my local, the Guinness could practically walk itself there. On the bus (the 78A) every morning on the way to work, I had to pass old Guinness's at St James Gate. Some mornings it was motivation for getting work done and getting into the pub. Others it was horrid reminder of the night before. A pennance, one might say. But today, I'll have to suffer through bad pints-- I'll probably drink Smithwicks (say it like this: Smiticks). It's not what I want, but it might be what I need.

Here's another piece of advice: Don't drink black and tans today. The Black and Tans were a nasty group of soldiers sent to Ireland after the revolution known for their cruelty and hard-heartedness. Quite clearly state sponsored terrorism. Read about Croke Park in 1920. Anyway... If you absolutely have to drink a black and tan, mix the Guinness (gasp!) with Harp or Smithwicks. No Bass Ale today. I was once very vehement about this, but I have given it up as some of my best friends are English guys, but I am allowed to be a bit bitchy about it today.

So, there's my St Patrick's rant for you.... Otherwise, Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

2 Comments:

Blogger Firefly said...

Nar lagai Dia thu! An bhfuil tú ar meisce fós?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Firefly, a chara, not yet, my darling, not yet! But I am leaving me house at this moment! Go meadai Dia thu! Slan go foill....

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home