Thursday, March 03, 2005

"God Loves Gay People"

At the peril of everything else in my life, I have been reading "a little pregnant" from start to finish. Long winded reviews aside, it will suffice to say "Wow" for now. Julie is a great writer and a super wit and her bravery, humor, honesty-- even more than that-- I am going to use as a model from here on out. We have a long road in front us, Partner and I, and I want to be healthy about it. A week from today, (edited edited edited since I am changing format) Which means is six short months, we can start trying if all goes well. The frustration of this is, well, frustrating. We wanted to start trying this month! Pft.

Of course, all the obstacles we're facing made me think twice when reading Julie's beautiful blog-- (we don't even know if either us will have problems with fertility yet!)-- but one thing she said I particularly stopped at was this: "It's gay people who have the reproductive advantage!" (Read the full post here.)

First of all, let me say that I particularly loved this post and laughed when reading it, but at the same time a modicum of melancholy too. I wish we had the reproductive advantage. A week or so ago, over at Waiting for Nat my comment about wanting to go upstairs like our straight friends prompted some good discussion. I had to amend said comment and put in the necessary infinitive, "to try". And I still want that. I hold my position. I wish that tonight Partner and I could try... (So much whining. And I was going to try that new-more-adjusted model!)

I don't know what the future holds. I know that if everything goes well, we have to wait at least six more months, maybe seven depending on ovulation cycles for Partner, and I don't want to wait any more. I want to start trying now. Today.

Julie says that "needing medical intervention of some kind doesn't exactly come as a shock when, you know, we're talking two men or two women." That's true-- I mean, I knew we'd have to involve crowds of people in our reproductive future, it's just not what I wanted. I am pretty sure that it's not what Julie wanted either.

And if it happens that Partner has trouble conceiving, we could just move to my uterus next, (But I fear for my reproductive health-- that's addressed other places here) and it's true that is an advantage we have over the het couples. (Thank God, we've got at least one!) But on the other hand, I can't exactly lean over and ask for the sperm either. Note: this is a serious shortcoming. If Julie is right, and God really does perfer gay couples, this was an oversight.

But please God, please please please, let Julie be right about this one!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I hope she's right too.
Sincerely.

Suzanne

3:33 PM  
Blogger LilySea said...

hmmm... I hardly think "finding a surrogate who lives in the midwest" is a simple thing.
Not to mention the expense--which unlike with straight folks diagnosed infertile is not one whit covered by any insurance.

I guess she meant well. Or she meant funny and friendly. But no, queers do not have any reproductive advantages.

All that nonsense aside, best wishes to you two. I wish you could start sooner. damn!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Big hugs to both of you. Thanks!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Fingers crossed for you!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home