Friday, March 18, 2005

Books, Glorious Books!

I thought for awhile the blog could be a good place to record the books I read, but ultimately I think this is not a bookblog even though I rank reading as my all time favorite activity. What a dork. This information, notwithstanding, I did read a few good books over my spring break while I procrastinated painting my family room (which I did start painting today, and I am kicking myself for not getting it done earlier-- it looks good!) Still, I don't want to get into lengthy reviews here, just a quick shake n bake.

No further ado, here's the books:
  1. Little Children by Tom Perrotta: Pretty fast read and biting insights into suburban life; I can't speak to the realism or not because I am not quite yet part of a play-group, child raising crowd. Still, I like Perrotta and this was a good book.
  2. Almost French by Sarah Turnbull: Fan-damn-tastic. I loved every single moment of this book. It's her story of moving to Paris and trying to "fit" in. She's an Aussie, and her candor and keen eye make this a super read. I loved it. I wish we could out to dinner with her when Partner and I are in Paris.
  3. Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst: This book was not what I thought it was going to be. I was intrigued-- Sometimes I seriously believe that my cat Eli wants to speak to me. Another fast read. Moral of the story: Dogs should not talk. (My mother gave me this book to read and we discussed it-- a talking dog would be detrimental to its place in the home. You know when everyone is mad at everyone in the house? It's awful. But there's the dog-- the dog who cannot speak and take sides. Everyone has a friend in the dog, precisely because the dog cannot speak.)
  4. Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. My favorite of the week. In that same I Am Charlotte Simmons genre, but I liked this better. And I liked Charlotte Simmons. I finished this book this morning and I have been thinking about it since. I devoured this book, almost whole. The narrator's voice, Lee Fiora, is so heartbreaking. I could see my own high school insecurities in her, but I am happy to report I wasn't quite as neurotic as Lee. I did not go to a prep school, but instead an upper-middle class public high school that was definitely fraught with some of the very same issues the narrator deals with in this book. I loved the signs that a girl came from a family with money-- I totally recognized them-- for example, a floral bedspread. No doubt. Silver frames with pictures of families on top of ski slopes. Absolutely. So fantastic. I wish I hadn't finished it. Don't you just love/hate when that happens with a book??

That's it, but I still have two days left. Of course, tomorrow I'll be back in the bar to watch rugby, and Sunday is paint finishing, so I don't know that I'll quite get through another full book before the break is so dreadfully over.

3 Comments:

Blogger Career Guy said...

Hi--found your blog by clicking the 'Next blog' button, and I'm glad I did. I absolutely understand that feeling of being sad that I finished a book. sometimes you want it to go on and on. It's like chocolate--some books I hoard and purposely don't finish, but just take little bites to make them last longer. I was interested in your time in Dublin. Our daughter was married there last May, so we had chance to visit for a while. Please check my blog for some Ireland photos. I didn't post the Guinness photos, but I know the area you are talking about, and about the fact that it doesn't taste the same here. I'll put some of your books on my summer reading list. Thanks!
PS--I wish you the best with your baby plans.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Firefly said...

I will be giving the Paris book a look....I moved to Paris when I was 21 to work as an Au Pair.....three years later I came back home and had to figure out how to fit back into a casual society.....boy do I miss cafe cremes and Tarte d'abricot!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks, John, for your comments. Your Ireland photos were great! And Firefly-- You would LOVE the Paris book and MUST email me when you finish it to tell me how you liked it.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home