Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pragmatics Question

I'm back to a car seat question. Last Friday our super nanny was in a car accident-- I'm happy to report she is fine, just sore in all sorts of places where one does not expect to be sore. She was rear-ended by someone going, she thinks, 30-35 mph, which seems really fast to me. Apparently a paramedic witnessed the whole thing, came right over and told her not to move. She was boarded and collared and spent far far too long on that board in a busy ED, got all the requisite scans and was cleared. Thank God. We love her a lot.

The car, however, is apparently totalled. It struck me as I was listening to her story that I might need to get a new car seat even though no child (another thank God) was in the seat at the time. Her air bags never were deployed and I haven't seen the car. The seat appears to be in good condition....

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Do I need a new car seat? I sorta hope the answer is no because it is sooooo not in the budget right now, but safety is paramount.

7 Comments:

Blogger Plant Girl said...

I'm not entirely sure, but if the car is totalled I would imagine the seat needs to be replaced. I know that many insurance companies will replace a car seat when the car was in an accident. Even though it's not her child, it would be worth looking into to see if her insurance will pay for a new one.

7:26 PM  
Blogger LadyofAvalon56 said...

As far as I understand, any carseat that has been in an accident must be replaced because of the possibility of stress fractures, etc in the plastic.

The insurance should cover it as part of the damages to the car.

Regardless, I would assume you'd rather be safe than sorry. Glad to hear Super Nanny is okay. Thank god Cricket wasn't in the car.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Yo-yo Mama said...

I bet you didn't know I was still around, did you...

New car seat, definitely. Here's the 4-1-1 from the National Highway Traffic Safety ADmin: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

8:03 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

As everyone said, yes it needs to be replaced. Only Britax allows seats to be used after accidents, and then only after minor ones.

Insurance should replace it.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

I'm going to ditto everyone else and say I think it needs to be replaced. I've heard (not verified) that they can be damaged even if they don't appear to be and can fail if there was an impact. Whether that's true or an attempt to sell more seats, I have no idea.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First I am glad that everyone is ok!! I am a carseat tech and yes, the seat does need to be replaced at that speed of an accident. But as other posters here have said, the insurance company is obligated to replace it. They MAY fight you because a child was not in the seat but fight it!! Also, people forget this one: replace all seatbelts that were being used (ie. on a person or carseat). They are designed to stretch and must ALWAY be replaced after any type of accident. Again, insurance has to pay for it. But most people do not know to ask for this and of course the insurance company is not going to offer :-)

1:53 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yep. I hear you on the budget, utterly, but it does need to be replaced.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home