Tuesday, March 06, 2007

His Kiss Is on my List

I like to sing, and thus had visions of sweetly crooning lullabies to my baby while he drifted off to sleep in a rocking chair to be gently put down to sleep. All hopes dashed. First of all, our kid doesn't like to be put "down" to sleep. Just try it and his little lids pop open. He's no fool. He gets picked back up and voila, baby sleeps on mommies, exclusively. We asked at the pediatrician on Friday if we could perhaps try putting him down on his stomach, since perhaps it's back sleeping he hates. She advised against it.

He's a little gordito lately, gaining three pounds in one month. We have the world's largest Cricket. 11.3 pounds! I guess all the marathon nursing has paid off.

Also, with regard to the lullabies: Cricket is a rocker. He likes loud fast music and he goes right to sleep. Right now his favorites are: (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles by The Proclaimers, Kiss on my List---Hall and Oates (and seriously, look at his kisser in that picture, his kiss is on my list!), Beast of Burden--Rolling Stones, 3 Rs--Jack Johnson, Yakety Yak-- The Coasters, Angelina Zooma Zooma-- Louis Prima, When You're Good to Mama, from the Chicago soundtrack, and finally (Night Time Is) The Right Time, Ray Charles. Pretty much if he can't fall asleep all I need to do is blast The Proclaimers followed by Jack Johnson. He loves it. If I as much try and sing something like "Golden Slumbers" (Beatles), he'll have none of it. The nights when he's the most kvetchy, I'd put him in the sling and head out for the nearest blues club where it not so smokey. If there were a non-smoking blues club, I might do it. But then again, wouldn't a non-smoking blues bar be antithetical? I think so...

For now, we're jamming in the house.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Estelle said...

Charlie's not one for lullabies, but he loves me to sing the ABC song to him. And for rocking... he's more into the rough stuff. If it wasn't so bad to shake a baby, I might try it. As is there is no "patting" to sleep of this boy. I spank him to sleep!

Loving the proper carseat usage as demonstrated in the photo. Especially the rolled receiving blankets in lieu of after market head huggers which have the potential to introduce slack into the harness and alter the webbing path ;)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Oh, he's so cute! Thank you for the picture! Ben used to not be able to sleep unless he was sleeping on me, but at about 3 months we started putting him down and he sleeps great at night now (about 12 hours without waking up in the middle of the night). Naps are a bit hit and miss, though.

He used to love Happy Trails, lately I've been playing him the "Finland/Fish Schlapping Song" from Spamalot after he wakes up during his morning diaper change and he's tickled pink!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy shit! that is one cute kid!!
My friend has an 8 month old that LIVES for Aretha. She (my friend) is so happy not to be listening to baby/kid music yet.

& of course I can't help but think how much like cricket's song list sounds like a great mix cd...wink, wink

3:39 PM  
Blogger frog said...

Aw!

Over 11 pounds! That's it, I'm mailing the package I haven't gotten around to dropping off.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Amyesq said...

Wow, what an adorable little chunkster! And good taste in music, too.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Gus and Clay's Mama said...

So cute! I have to admit Gus had far less refined taste- My Humps was his favorite song until he turned one, only to be replaced by Itsy Bitsy Spider...

(oh and he had the wont be put down to nap thing too... but we just couldnt resist him anyway, so I think we encouraged it!)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy and Karen said...

Great picture! And such adorable lips. I love the baby hat!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm jealous of that playlist. My kiddo likes to listen to the brain-melting chimey sounds of Baby Einstein's Lullaby Classics. I learned the hard way that it IS possible to ruin Mozart.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Our playlist isn't that schwanky as Baby Einstein or even the hits... Except in the car when I have control over the stereo... believe it or not, she's addicted to American Idol. The minute one of them starts to sing, the head rivets to the tv and we're watching that for the entire 2 minutes of song... Ryan Seacrest opens his mouth, he gets ignored. ;-) Smart girl...

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is beautiful.

~Leah

12:27 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

He sounds a lot like our little guy. We're still trying to figure out what puts him to sleep, but last night the swing on HIGH and the volume of American Idol turned up was what did it.
I thought I was being so smart by putting all of those Baby Einstein lullabies and Eva Cassidy, etc. on my iPod to play for him at night. It doesn't work.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

And I love the kisser on that little guy. That picture is priceless!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home