Thursday, November 02, 2006

Popsicle Toes, and then Some

It's snowing. And sticking to the ground.

I do not like this. Snow. I know there are probably people who this seems terribly romantic to, and they're dreaming of cozy fires and warm drinks and snuggling under down comforters. I'm doing all that anyway, sans the romance factor. I'm doing it just to keep warm.

We have two furnaces-- One for the upstairs, one for downstairs. The downstairs one went on a goodly while ago. We have it programmed to go up in the morning, down in the day when ostensibly no one is home, back up in the evening and down in the night. The lowest I'm allowed to set it is 62 (17C). I'd go colder, but Partner has nixed this proposition.

It's not that I'm naturally warm or anything. I think we've already established I am snake, preferring the thought of lying on a hot rock and absorbing heat rather than being cold. It's partially that I'm cheap. And I prefer to sleep in a colder room rather than warmer.

I think I got this from my grandmother, who was raised on a farm in outside Pembroke(Canada). They moved to Sault Ste Marie after that. In Sault Ste Marie she got the name she was called her entire life after that-- it was a hockey nickname. I love that little fact about my Gramma. Her father ran the locks when he wasn't out portaging with his canoe. I think this Canadian cold stayed with her, because in her house here in Michigan, she had the heating units removed from her bedroom. She had no heat at all in her bedroom all Michigan-bloody-cold-winter long. Perhaps this predilection toward cold bedrooms slipped down to me.

I told Partner we'd turn the heat on upstairs starting November 1st. It's the 2nd, and I still haven't been able to bring myself to flip the switch. This has nothing to do with preferring the bedroom cold, because at this point, let's face it, it's going to be cold no matter what. This is all about being cheap. The master bath is above the garage, and can I just say, taking a shower is not all that fun. Well, taking a shower is fun, but getting out is another story. Still, that misery only lasts for moments-- I think we can take it

As soon as the baby is born, I'll turn up the heat full blast-- There's no way I'm subjecting Cricket to this, and I'll pay the price at that point. But not before. The bedroom thermostat now reads 60F (15C). Maybe I could turn on the heat to surprise Partner? But I'm getting ready to leave for Chemistry lab, so what's the point?

And since I've decided that Cricket deserves all heat, all the time, I only have 13 weeks (plus or minus) left to freeze us out. Because, holy shit people, I'm officially in the third trimester. And time flies when you're shivering. Isn't that the way the expression goes?

8 Comments:

Blogger agoodlistener said...

Hard to believe you're that close. I agree with saving up the heat for Cricket, but Partner is pretty remarkable to put up with 60 degrees in the bedroom. That's just too darn cold.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a cold bedroom, the colder the better. Let the room be cold and the bed be warm and snuggly. But I agree, that's not an option once the baby comes. Wow, only 13 weeks!

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were a quarter Canadian! No wonder I like you so much! Congrats on the 3rd trimester. Here's to 12 more weeks of smooth sailing.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

Don't you feel toasty warm because you're pregnant? I thought everyone feels like they have an internal combustion heater up their jumpr when they're up the duff! My body temperature is definitely higher, but much of the time I actually feel cold. And this is in the sub-tropics!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Third trimester? Woo hoo!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Nico said...

Wow, 3rd tri already??? Boy, how time flies!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Gandksmom said...

And here I am to remind you...pictures please! I haven't forgotten about the sling...I promise. Just have a few little things going on around here....

9:45 PM  
Blogger Soul Searching said...

Wow, 3rd trimester already!? I can't believe it!!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home