Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I Swear I'm Not Ignoring You

It's just life. You know. Suddenly got really busy. Ten updates in almost telegraphic form (except for #10 which pertains Cricket at some length):

1. We had the first tests in Chemistry and Microbiology last week. I'm happy to report we both did quite well. I can't promise I'll make a habit of reporting my scores here, but I got 108 out of 100 in Chemistry and 103 out of 100 in Microbiology, which meant I missed nothing! I missed two potential points in Chemistry, but hey, we can't be perfect all the time. This might be last time I see such a high score in Chemistry, because the material we are currently covering stresses me out to the nth degree. Cricket either loves it or hates too, because in class the kid is a kicking maniac, which does not make me feel better, instead it only exacerbates my feelings of nervousness and doom. Like I've got butterflies in my stomach, but they're on some stupendous steroids.

2. First test in Pharmacology next week. Uhg. There are 27 chapters on the first test. Yeah right. I have so many drug names rattling around in my head and new respect for all pharmacy students and related professionals. Phenytoin, levodopa, benzotropine, trihexyphenidyl, lorazapam, diazepam, ... Fuck. What? At least I get it more now and feel like I might make it through. Along with drug mantras, I am trying to convince myself I don't need an A in this class. I just need to do the best I can do. Of course, this particular line of thought is almost more disturbing than the medication memory worksheets...

3. I won't be studying at all this weekend because Brother K is getting married! Married! My little brother! Good God. I can still remember my parents bringing him home from the hospital. I was seven. I wasn't that thrilled with him at the time-- After one has undivided attention from parents for seven years, a new addition is sometimes traumatic. But I do remember how quickly my feelings turned to pride, and that hasn't stopped swelling. He's a smart kid (man!), and I'm excited to celebrate this new part of his life with him.

4. I'm the matron of honor. Which is a really sweet way to make sure my relationship with Partner is honored, but a matron? I don't mind being a maid. Really. When did I become a matron? Why do some words just sound so old? And fat?

5. I have what I think is a sciatica in my left leg. After standing or walking for more than 7-10 minutes, the side of my leg goes numb, which manifests itself by feeling like it's very cold. This weekend Partner and I played the "Am I touching you now?" game. I wasn't very good at it. I'm hoping it goes away and does get worse. I'm worried I'll be gimp by the time the wedding is over. And I'm wearing heels. Very small ones, but heels nonetheless. And I'm no Manuela. My feet are happiest in their Birks. Keep your fingers crossed.

6. In addition to everything else, we went to Partner's 20 FREAKING YEAR CLASS REUNION. Damn, she's old. (Ha ha. Not really, but I'm four years younger so I'd like to think mine is far off, but it's not. Really. Shit.) When my parents went to their 20 year class reunion I babysat for Brothers K and N. I was a sophomore in high school. I thought my parents were really getting quite up there. Funny how different 20 years can seem looking forward and looking backward. Anyway, Partner had a lot of fun and I smiled a lot. Many people squealed when they saw her and gave her big hugs and I gathered she was a pretty perky face around the old high school. It was an interesting night. While no one seemed to flinch that she was gay (she outed herself at her ten year), it does seem that there was some gossip about the fact that I was pregnant. Oh well-- the whole even was nicer than we both anticipated and I'm glad she got to reconnect with some good friends from 20 years ago.

7. I'm still puking. It's time to be done with this. But I'm starting to think it won't end. My mother confessed that she was sick with me into her 8th month, and even though we don't physically resemble each other, many things are similar about us in the physiological sense. My guess is that I'll keep getting sick for awhile to come.

8. Our damn house is still for sale despite having two showing this weekend and an open house AND burying St. Joseph in the yard in the rain. At least we're getting showings. Many houses in the area aren't even getting that. Keep your fingers crossed. We break ground soon on the new house. Just in case we weren't busy enough.

9. Last week Partner said to me, "Just think, next year at this time, we'll be trying to having another baby." I nearly fell off my stool. "Can we just get one done first before we move on like that?" I asked her. She reminded me I'm not getting any younger either. My birthday, looming in less than a month, proves her point. But seriously? I just want to get one finished before we start talking like that.

10. She said that to me after our BIG ultrasound-- The 20 week one, which we did at 21 weeks to delay the pleasure a little. What fun. I could have stayed there all day. My favorite of course is hearing the heart, but seeing all four little chambers of the beating thing was pretty cool too. Our sonographer wasn't that effusive, but it was okay. She started by looking at the face noting that she was looking to see if there was a cleft palate. Then she didn't say anything. "Well?" we asked, "Is there?" She said, "Oh, no. It's fine." Sheesh. So Partner asked, "If you saw anything wrong, would you tell us?" And she replied, " Yes. At the end." Uh-uh. We weren't having any of that, so we asked questions after each body part was inspected and measured. I'm pretty sure we annoyed the shite out of her.

No. We did not find out if the Cricket is a boy or girl, much to my mother's chagrin. As the sonographer was getting ready to look at the bladder, she noted we might want to look away at that point since if there was ever a time we might see the sex, that was it. Partner closed her eyes, and I wanted to peek, and even looked for one minute, but then Partner asked if I was looking. I had to look at her with her eyes all squinched up and closed and concentrate on her hand squeezing mine in order to not be tempted further. Soon after that the sonographer referred to Cricket as "a little stinker". For the rest of the time there I questioned myself if that was a gendered term. Is it? What do you think??

At one point I felt Cricket move and saw it at the same time. That was pretty cool and connected the whole thing nicely. It was as if the baby was really inside of me and not on the Discovery Health Channel. The sonographer also kept apologizing about putting too much pressure on me. HA! I tried telling her it was nothing compared to the way I felt manhandled during the transfer and she wasn't hurting me at all. I'm not quite sure she got it.

She thought Cricket weighed about a pound. A pound! How is this possible? From the follicle to this? It's pretty unbelievable and heady stuff. At the end she said everything looked good. She didn't say GREAT or WONDERFUL, but then again that may have just been her personality. We have a five minute videotape we haven't been able to view since our VCR is messed up. If the VCR wasn't so banjaxed, I'd probably be watching the damn tape every day. We want to go get it transferred to a DVD as VHS is quickly seeming like an archaic media form.

I'm 22 weeks today. Less time to go than has elapsed. We start Bradley classes tonight.

Now, enquiring minds want to know: what exactly do theses nurses do with the diapers?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{Delurking to say} Yay for Cricket! Yay for Bradley Method!! Yay for good test scores!!

Nah, stinker is anything. My mom calls me a stinker. And my brother. So, no - it's just a term.

Been reading for a couple months and love your blog. Happy day!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I LOVE delurking!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

In a year?! Emilin hasn't even started cycling again yet.

4:25 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

Yeah, Partner, hold your horses! My husband did that to me and I freaked out.

Matron is a horrible word. So is Maid, come to think of it. Brings milking to mind...

7:54 PM  
Blogger Portlairge said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. St Joseph in the garden. Explain that one to me. Do you also do the Child of Prague in the garden the night before the wedding to ensure good weather?
I'm so glad Cricket is doing well. B has mentioned our next baby too- doesn't go down well with a woman who is completely over the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. I can't move.
Well done on the Chemistry and Micro. Good luck with pharm- you'll do fine. Can't wait to hear about the bradley method classes.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Whew! I'm glad you posted. I was starting to worry... ;)

Glad all is well.

Matron, ugh.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Firefly said...

I think Matron even out yucks Ma'am. It makes me think of english films where the head of nursing is called Matron, usually a stern cranky thing. I am sure you will be one of the lovliest, glowing matrons ever seen!(as long as you don't puke on the aisle or during the ceremony)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Glad to hear all went well at the big US. To me, I hear stinker and think boy. That's my instinct, but I could be wrong - so that puts you back at square one!

Now, whaat nurses and what diapers? What do you mean? Be well & have a great day! (And yeah, get throught the first child before working on more - but that's just me ; )

1:31 PM  
Blogger Michko said...

I absolutely, positively CANNOT believe you are 22 weeks already! Seems like just yesterday you were telling us you are pregnant!

Stinker says to me that cricket wouldn't show off the goods.

As for diapers...they turn into nice little holders of ice for your sore nether regions. (visualize ice in a ziplock, then open a diaper up as if you were going to put it on a baby, then filet part of the padding open to slide the ice pack into, and fold the diaper sort of backwards, place on said hurting parts and enjoy!)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I'm with Michko - I think Cricket didn't want to expose the old nether regions and therefore is a little stinker.

I didn't know that about the diapers. That's ingenious!

1:38 PM  
Blogger witchtrivets said...

Hsppy things are going well -- except for the puking that is. That totally sucks. Oh and the sciatica -- that sucks too. But the little cricket moving around -- well, that is goodness.

I insisted on being the best woman at my sister's wedding. I am no matron nor maid. But I am a pain that way.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Estelle said...

AJ was telling me this last night and I just had to check in. She starts the conversation with "Can you believe Katie's 22 weeks?" for which I rack my brain to think of a pregnant woman we know named Katie, before realizing she meant on the internet. I must admit it did seem a bit far along, but wow!
I don't think stinker is gendered. We didn't know with Charlie either, and it was just... I loved not knowing. I wanted to know the whole time, but finding out at his birth was fabulous. Way better than knowing beforehand.
I too thought we would wait a while before having another one. Until AJ tells me IN THE FREEZER SECTION AT TARGET that it's time to get started again, and she's ovulating now (at the time), and should we do it tonight? Yikes.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

It's so fun to read your blog to see what I'll be up to in only a few short weeks time! I can't wait for the "big" ultrasound - it sounds lovely. The drug names are hard for a while, but easier once you get to know the sounds in common within similar drug groups and the diseases they go with. Make a big list and stick it on the back of the toilet door for many-times-a-day reflection!

8:53 PM  
Blogger LilySea said...

Boy.

If it was a girl, she'd have said "sweetie-pie" instead of "stinker." My money's on boy.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Nico said...

SO glad to hear that everything is still well with Cricket!

I didn't take the actual Bradley classes because I didn't find out about it until I was 34 weeks. We did have private meetings with an instructor though, and I felt really good about it all. I think I learned a lot more about what labor would be like than you get from the traditional hospital classes. And I felt really good about our being able to have a positive, drug-free labor experience. Of course it didn't end up that way given Phred's position in utero. But I think it's totally the way to go!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home