Thursday, June 16, 2005

I Can Dream About You...

Arg.

We have, as we knew, no prescription drug coverage. We knew we weren't getting it when we bought our insurance. If you are lucky and are employed by a cooperation or university (with full time status), you might not know the horrors of obtaining your own health insurance. It's a process that should be added onto The Inferno as the tenth circle of hell.

When we opted out of drug coverage ,our reasoning was sound: we don't take drugs! Nor did we anticipate any huge drug costs. Sure, every now and then I get my Denovir, but it didn't warrant the $100-per-month-times-two-drug rider.

Surely such naiveté should be punished.

We are now in holding pattern number 65,768. For at least 45 more days. Until the drug rider takes effect and we can order all our super fun fertility drugs. And then stick each other at night with Lupron shots.

Ah, love is in the air.

Incidentally, my official diagnosis is 'ovarian dysfunction.' The women in the billing department at the RE office now think I am a little nuts after I had a loud guffaw about that diagnosis. You sure can bet we have ovarian dysfunction-- its dysfunction is that it doesn't give out sperm!

And I thought in fourteen days I'd be getting pregnant.

3 Comments:

Blogger LilySea said...

This is such a lovely solution--now why doesn't the insurance company see it that way?

At least it's a possibility. Our friends couldn't get any part of their IUI's covered because the insurance only paid after a diagnosis of infertility and the diagnosis required a year of trying "naturally." In other words, only straight people can be infertile.

So out of pocket for six tries, then they switched to adoption...

Good luck with everything. We are watching on the sidelines with bated breath!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I just had me egg retreival for my one and only IVF. I am so excited for you and partner. I was curious if the RE put you on BCP's? Some IVF cycles start out with BCP's and they can help reduce any cysts. I took BCP's then BCP's w/ Lupron.

Whatever his plan is I hope it works.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

45 days isn't bad... Although now it appears that even if we get the rider, the "injectables for infertility" might not covered. We also think it's a lovely solution.

Stacy-- No BCPs for us right now. When Dr BBB talked to us about starting IVF RIGHT AWAY, we were (and are) early enough in our respective cycles he thought we wouldn't need BCP. One less drug. To pay for. :D Although now we might opt for the BCP since we were missing the "ideal" window that happens in approximately two days. It's killing me.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home