Saturday, May 26, 2007

Seven (oh-so, so-so) Secrets

Listen people, I never get tagged for memes, which is probably alternately good and bad. Sometimes it leaves me feeling like a dejected seventh grader, but I quash that girl with some straight talk and it's all okay. Nonetheless when Robin tagged me, I felt a little flutter of glee. Of course I'll do the meme! Yes, I am busy, but I've been tagged for God's sake. I'm supposed to tell you seven secret things about me. I thought I would try to tell you some serious secret stuff about me. And I did. But not all of them are titillating. The first is a doozy though...



1. When I was a freshman in college, I was in a sorority.

Shhh. Yes, you heard me right. I was attending a smaller far-less prestigious state school nominally known for its skill in training teachers, which at the time, I had a small inkling that I might like to do. Whereas in fact, all I was really interested in doing was partying. (Do you remember that really horrible Eddie Murphy song, "My girl likes to party all the time, party all the time, paaarrty all the tiiiime"? [Which is probably why he didn't win the Oscar, in my opinion, the memory of that song haunted the judges.] Well, anyway, that song could have been written about me freshman year.) I not only rushed, but pledged the super preppy sorority. I wore bass kilties (with tassels) as a matter of fact. Remember that was 1990. Headbands in the hair. Sweatshirts with the sorority letters in plaid. I had a "big brother" that was president of the big shot fraternity. I felt like I ruled the school. Which in retrospect is so stupid. I see girls like I was freshman year now and I sigh for them. If I had more energy or am exhorted sufficiently enough, I might find a picture of me from that year and post it for you. When I transferred down the road to a the big nationally ranked state school, I called my "sisters" and let them know where I was. The girl who answer the phone, Lauri her name was, said to me, "Gawd, Katie, I guess we never really thought you were that smart." Ah, sisterhood. I could write much more on this topic, but let's get on to other secrets, eh?

2. I have been watching the same soap opera for thirteen years now. When I lived in Ireland, every few nights or so while down in the pub, it would go silent(ish) for half an hour while everyone watched "the street." It didn't take me long to become addicted to the comings and goings of Coronation Street and I am hopelessly addicted. When I returned to the US, I realized that good old CBC showed the episodes, although they were behind the UK. Over the years CBC has fallen further and further behind, and when we return to the UK or Ireland we always debate about whether or not we'll watch "ahead" when we're there. Now, let me tell you there are people who have been watching Corrie for far longer than me: It's been on the air since December 1960! I'm a relative newcomer to the street when you think about it. And even more said than my addiction to this drama filled British soap is the fact that when I think about moving somewhere else in the country, the first thing I think is that I won't get CBC anymore, which means among other things, no Coronation Street. However, if the wikipedia is correct, I might become free soon since ITV may be posting online episodes... The problem is that if they ever stopped steaming episodes, I'd have to either a. move back to Michigan or another state with CBC, b. move to Canada (yes, please!) or c. move back to the UK.

3. I have no toe nail on my left second toe. I was born without it. None of the doctors noticed it; it was my dad who realized I wasn't quite perfect. (And kept on realizing it as the years went by...) I have never grown a toenail there. I also like this about me.

4. More in freaky biology: I was an outie and around age 7 or 8, I became an innie. I thought at the time it was because I poked at my belly button too much. Now I have no idea why this happened, but it's too bad because just like my freak toe, I liked being an outie too. Oh well.

5. I'm starting nursing school in the fall and I'm terrified to think about drawing blood. Giving shots? No problem: been there, done that. The thought of drawing blood though makes me queasy. Some nurse I'll make.

6. This is sick, really really sick, but I think it's hilarious: I like to honk at people when they are crossing in front of my car. I don't do this to strangers, although sometimes I have the compulsion at red lights and I'm the first car. There is the person, just calmly walking in front of me. If I honked at the precise moment, there would be jumping and yelping involved. I know this is sick. I've done this to Partner so many times, she's numb to it. I think she expects that when she crosses in front of my car, I'm going to honk. I have to tell you the truth here since I'm divulging secrets, but even the thought of this is making me laugh. Oh God. I can't believe I told you this. It sounds so awful.

7. I don't return library books. It's like I have a sickness. I have paid some pretty hefty fines because of this fact too. Here's the thing: when I read a book, it becomes part of me. It's in my soul and the book on the shelf reminds me every now and then of it. If I really love the book, I think about the characters, my old friends. Sometimes I'll re-read the book. Or look for it when something seems relevant. For example, I just got out this book, The Periodic Table, and read the chapter "Carbon." I had to read something a little literary in the midst of all this crappy crappy Organic Chemistry. If had taken that book out of the library, I wouldn't have had it. Or I would have, since I don't return library books, but I would be paying .10 a day for the pleasure of having it at my disposal. Every now and then I think I can handle the library again: I love books so much, buying them is an expensive little habit. But I just can't do it.

Robin notes that part of this meme is to tag other people. Maybe that's why I never get tagged? Because I don't tag others? Okay. I'm playing. Here's who I tag: Sarah, Jen, Emilin, frog, and Trista (even though I don't have the password for her password posts!). I also tag anyone else who wants to play. I would tag more of you but the Cricket woke up and moving his little rose mouth like he wants to eat.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

OMgoodness, loved number 1! You didn't go to Edinboro by any chance did you?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeee Corrie Street junkie like me.
You know where I'll be tomorrow morning..in front of CBC from 730 til 10 getting caught up.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Lynn Cameron said...

Thanks for the great belly laugh this morning (number 6)! We must have the same sick mind!

9:06 AM  
Blogger agoodlistener said...

I know what you mean about books. There are shelves and shelves of them in the basement that I can't bear to part with. John Stuart Mill? Please. Toss it. Can't do it. Gotta have it forever. Library books get returned, though. I have this "J" thing in my Myers Briggs that tells me to march right back to the library like a good boy.

10:22 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

YAY TAGGED! I FEEL SO COOL!

I'll get on this ASAP.

10:31 AM  
Blogger vwsista said...

OMG! The honking... I can't stop laughing. It's awful and so funny and I totally want to do it to someone now. RIGHT NOW!!

2:29 AM  
Blogger AmyinMotown said...

Here's how you get around the library fines: befriend a librarian. My library connection has saved me $$$ and will again--when I get around to returning these books I have that were due FEBRUARY 10.

I SUCK.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home